Tuesday, August 23, 2011

MRI Booked

I am grateful.
I am frustrated.
I am grateful.
I am annoyed.
I am grateful.

We finally received notification of Summer's MRI appointment at HSC. It will be on September 28th - a Wednesday.

We are grateful for the appointment, really. BUT.... when I asked the booking clerk if we could have a Friday or Monday appointment as it is easier for us to travel on the weekend, she said the appointment has been booked since June and I would have to cancel this one and wait for a rebooking. (seriously?) And because there are many calls to make, they only call to let patients know their appointment date a few weeks ahead. (four weeks notice?)

Background...They called in June to ask about Summer’s health status, and I asked at that time if the appointment had been made, and the person said we would be called with the date.

The person I spoke with today said we would be called a couple of days ahead with more details…

I can’t help but think they could reduce the number of calls they need to make, if they only called me once with all the questions and details, instead of three times.

Really, I understand they are dealing with high volumes of patients, and perhaps many patients in more serious need than Summer, but I find this frustrating, especially for families who have to make arrangements and travel.

We do this trip specifically for Summer’s appointments 6-10 times per year, taking these days as vacation or overtime lieu time.

I am hoping that Summer's neurosurgeon agrees to my request to have the scan performed here in North Bay.

Thanks for reading my vent.
I feel guilty for complaining.

1 comment:

  1. That's a lot of trips and even more planning. It is frustrating... schedulers rarely give any consideration for the patients in my experience. Our neuro allows me to schedule mri's/radiology in our town then bring all on a dvd to view. One time it had to be repeated because they didn't do a shunt series properly but other than that it has gone smoothly. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete