Thursday, July 8, 2010

Matthew Gets a Cast!!

We are so blessed to have become close friends with the Miller’s. Elise and I met in the ‘pump room’ at Women’s College Hospital the day before Summer was transferred to Sick Kids and her shunting was immanent. (Now, it seems weird to ‘meet’ someone while hooked up to a human milking machine, but you’d be surprised how many friendships are formed there!)

Matthew was already at Sick Kids and Eric remained at WCH. Although only blocks between the hospitals, I could not imagine how hard it was for them. I can certainly acknowledge it now, but at the time we each had our own hardships to deal with.

Over the last 4 years we have grown a cherished friendship. Matthew also has a shunt and where Summer is a right hemi – he is left. Mirroring each other, we said from the start – these two are betrothed! Eric, Matthew’s identical twin, was fortunate that his bleed did not result in hydrocephalus or CP. But, like all premies, you never know what the future will show from the trauma they survived.

Matthew is currently doing a CT Camp at Grandview Children’s Treatment Centre. I am pleased to show off his cast and some comments from his Mom, Elise.

“Matthew received Botox injections last week and his cast this Tuesday. He has a camp next week with other kids that have casts and are getting the same therapy. They have a cast on his good arm to help with the function of his weak arm. He is doing really well.

I am surprised that his not getting that frustrated. It was funny as soon as they put it on and we were leaving he said "mommy take it off how am I going to play my guitar and drums?" you can tell what is important to him : )



It is hard for him to eat but even within 24 hrs he has improved. The first night we made all the kids eat with their non-dominant hand, it was pretty funny. I have a picture here of him and Eric (although it is dark). He couldn't pick up his cup to drink so I looked over and Eric was holding his cup for him. It was so cute. I let Eric know that it was so nice of him to help his brother but he has to try to let Matthew do things with his helper hand so it can get stronger : )




I want to share with you what Matthew said the other day. The kids always do summersaults and we tell them Matthew can't do them. So the other day out of the blue Matthew says to me “Mommy when will I get my shunt out so I can do summersaults?” So I had to explain to him that he will always have his shunt. Then he said "Summer can't do summersaults either right mommy?" Isn't that sweet? It is so nice that he has someone so close to him that is the same as him.”

This is one instance of many where Matthew shows what a sensitive and bright little boy he is. We are so proud of you Matthew!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment