Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Great Satisfaction

It is hard to express how satisfying and motivating this is:

Summer met with her PT yesterday and I received this great report:

“What a GREAT job you are doing of stretching Summer’s right ankle and hamstrings. During our session she got her heel to the ground consistently with or without knee hyperextension when standing without her brace on. Her forefoot looked so relaxed as well!

She allowed a lot of handling as I tried to work on weight shifts to the right in standing.

I will consult with a couple of PT’s here at work to help me come up with activities that will be fun for Sum.

Her gait was good with her brace on. She has some heel toe action and her foot is oriented forward.

I did not note any vaulting and she gave me quite a show of her ability to hop and skip.

Much less effort going into hopping.

Whatever you are doing, keep on doing it!”

It is my experience that growth spurts are very difficult for a kid like Summer. Growing more than an inch in 1.5 months – May/June, has been tough. Her tone increases in her leg, foot, hand and arm. She tires out quicker. She is crankier. She stutters. She eats us out of house and home.

Then she catches up and the ‘growing symptoms’ seem to dissipate. I hope we are on the back end of this one!

Her leg length discrepancy is still of concern to us and she receives her new AFO next week. But the stretches are working. Lately I have been giving her a choice of where she would like her stretches to occur. Most of the time she picks her bed – so that she can get a few ‘bounces’ in, before and after the stretches.

No comments:

Post a Comment