Tuesday, April 27, 2010

School Case Conference





This afternoon we had a ‘case conference’ at Summer’s new school that she will be attending Jr. Kindergarten in the fall. Her pediatrician, OT, PT, IDP therapist , Don and I attended, along with her new principal, the special ed coordinator, and another lady, whom I can’t remember her title… it was a lot to take in.

We talked about all the things needed to ensure Summer is going into a safe environment. We discussed her shunt, educating the staff and teachers, and how important it was to be aware of the symptoms of blockage, failure or infection.

I provided a hand out that had several bold type words, and a few large red ones too, just for emphasis.

The largest obstacles will be the stairs to the gym; Summer will require assistance, toileting; Summer will need a step up, and the bus from daycare; Summer will need help up the big step.

Already I confirmed with the Bus Assistant at daycare, that she assists all the children onto the bus, and ensures they are safely seated. And vice versa – Summer will receive assistance getting off the bus.

The meeting went remarkably well, though I must say, it definitely felt foreign to us to be so focused on Summer’s limitations. Not that there are many, but that we just don’t think of her challenges as limiting.

As always, her care team had so many wonderful things to tell the school about Summer. I am sure I am no different from any parent – but I never get tired of hearing how much our little munchkin is loved.

After dinner tonight, I finally got Summer to paint me some ‘finger paintings’. All right handed. I could not seem to get her to open her hand much though. Even though she was seated. Oh well, at least I got my paintings!

3 days to go… then we’ll be ‘cast free’!

No comments:

Post a Comment