Friday, February 25, 2011

Reading & Writing



A couple of weeks ago Summer brought home a paper with her name on it and we could not decipher any of the letters she formed... I have to say, I was kind of shocked, as she is always bringing home little notes from her friend Myah - and clearly, Myah can print...

After a discussion with her teacher, we were assured that Summer is at par with many of her classmates, and we should not worry, yet.

On Wednesday I attended a parent's workshop at Summer's school. The prinicpal facilitated a session to teach parents how to best support their childs learning and outlined expectations.

On of the big expectation is that they are reading at a level five by the end of Senior Kindergarten. YIKES! Panic sets in .... we are already half way through JK!

We learned some great strategies. How things have changed since we were kids... hey sent us home with a few tools and lots of tips.

Last week I obtained some extra homework from Summer's teacher so that we can work on her printing. Summer just loves to do homework. Last night she delighted in doing the tracing part of the excercise while I had my eyes closed, so that she could surprise me with her success. Very cute.

Summer gets very excited whenever I drop into her school. This time, she showed me the bike that she gets to use- pictured above. She can go forwards and backwards, as well, she is very good at steering in close quarters.

No comments:

Post a Comment