Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day



It is funny how my Mother’s Day has somewhat evolved in the last three years.

The first year was really special, being a new (exhausted) mom. (my mom was visiting from BC – an added bonus). We went out for lunch – baby Summer in tow, and Don made sure I got a sleep in, a nice gift, and a ‘break’.

The second year was similar. And it was great to have a ‘break’, sleep in, breakfast served etc.

This year, something felt different. Mother’s Day landed in the same week as my birthday. So we had dinner out on Friday night – just the three of us, celebrating both events. Sunday, I received the customary sleep in, breakfast served, hugs, kisses and snuggles from Summer and Don. But a ‘break’ I was not seeking.

Summer and I went for a lovely walk in the melting snow and enjoyed each other’s company and conversation. We stopped into a friend’s house to see their kitchen reno and to meet their new puppies. Summer was delighted with their new furry friends. We soaked in some quality time, sunshine – and a bit of mud.

That evening, our friends Greg, Becky and Ben came for dinner. Ben is 1 and starting to walk. We hunkered down on the floor with Summer showing off her ‘dance moves’ and watched how fast Ben could approach the stairs.

Maybe I am finally settling into ‘motherhood’ or perhaps there is a bit of contentment that comes with time. Either way – it is all good.

My friend Elise sums motherhood nicely: ‘There is no love like it.’

Happy Mother's Day to all the AMAZING moms!

No comments:

Post a Comment